# Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.)
1. **Is [Dmap] a stand-alone application like `nmap` or `zmap`?**
* No. It's a distributed RESTFul web application that you deploy either as a simple `jar` file on a single machine, or run on multiple machines in a cluster. See [our research paper] for more.
1. **Can I scan IP addresses with [Dmap]?**
* No. It uses a domain name as its starting point. See [our research paper] for more.
1. **What is the minimum setup do I need to run [Dmap]?**
* You can run its components either distributed or on a single machine. The minimum configuration depends on how fast you want to crawl the domains (number of threads, number of crawlers active, cache size). A small VM should be suffice for most cases. If you are considering crawling million of domains, please consider a more robust scenario. In our setup, [we crawled 1 million domains/day], using a single virtual machine with 8x 1.4GHz CPU cores, with 32GB of RAM and a shared 1Gbps line, and 6 crawlers (no screenshots), with 300 crawler threads, and 50 classifier threads.
Copyright (C) 2018 SIDN Labs